Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Fahrenheit 451 Quote

During any story, authors like to add interesting idioms to make the people reading the book think. In the book Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury did this. The idioms are what make you want to continue reading and that’s what the one I chose did.

I chose an idiom where Faber is talking to Montag and stated "Not if you start talking the sort of talk that might get me burnt for my trouble." This quote really made me think because literally it means that Faber will get burnt to death for the mistakes he has made, which kind of seems ridiculous, but then again that’s what really would happen during this time period. You would actually get hurt the mistakes he made! Another way to look at this quote would be that Faber is going to be in a huge amount of trouble if people find out that he is trying to get rid of the book burning. This is the way I took the quote. For example, when people say "That was a piece of cake," they don’t actually mean that it was like a piece of cake, they mean "That was easy." That’s the same thing going on in my quote.

Unlike a lot of idioms, Ray Bradbury likes to change it up. Just like my example, the idiom was detailed so that made you think more about what he was trying to say. In the end you realize Faber was just trying to say that he will get in a lot of trouble if someone finds out.

No comments:

Post a Comment