Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Short Story Hook

When we walk into the Taco Bell bathroom I noticed that there was a perfectly clean sink, so I thought, why not take a bath? Being an 80 year old man,taking a bath is a hard process for little ol' me. "Now kids don't worry I got myself a Speedo on." "Grandpa Leeroy, can we go outside and wait for you?" "Oh, of course you can kids, be safe." I watch them leave out of them windows I see some youngster’s dresses up as them coloring crayons riding on a wagon. I look the other way and notice that them darn wipper snappers are gone faster than a dill pickle. I get myselfers out of that darn sink and walk out to catch them little sonnies before they reach that wagon and go down that hill bigger than a Halloween pumpkin. "Hey kids you don’t wanna go down that hill, or you'll die faster than I can say bean sprout." They start rolling down that hill, quicker than a Kentucky Derby horse. Man that made me wanna go get some of that fried chicken, which stuff's better than a reindeer pecan pie.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful voice! I can really hear the old man's personality in his reactions. I worry about his sanity. As a hook, consider editing out extra details. The edition of the reindeer pecan pie, for example, seems to defuse the conflict you set up. Having the costumed kids speeding down the hill would be a good place to end the hook, because reader has a chance to ask, "what happens next?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that you went back and forth from present to past tense. I really like the voice. I also noticed some dialog errors. Remember that when a new character speaks, start a new paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nicole. You do change tense often. But, no lie, this is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete